As a future educator, I
think it’s crucial after an experience such as this one to look back and
reflect on my time spent in Ecuador and how the lessons I learned will be
pertinent to my future students and in my classroom. As a Secondary English
Education major, there are several lessons I found valuable to myself and my
future students.
1. The
importance of reflection
As
an English education major, the development of children’s writing abilities
will be my job. After being required to daily reflect on what I saw and how I
felt in Ecuador, I realized the significance of this. Although all students are
not able to have this incredible opportunity to travel and reflect, even taking
the time to reflect on one’s daily activities and life helps one to see things
from a new and broadened perspective. I will be using this tactic in my
classroom to develop students’ abilities to think critically, reflect, and
analyze their thoughts and feelings.
2. The
necessity of stepping outside of one’s comfort zone & seeing things from
another’s perspective
Many
of us are afraid of things that are “different” to us or seem “other”. But, you
can never truly grow to your fullest potential if you fail to step out of your
comfort zone and have experiences that are different than your own. I will be
encouraging my students to view things from another’s perspective, especially
in regards to literature. While reading a book, I plan to give my student’s a
great deal of background knowledge on the character’s culture and environment.
This will allow them to better understand the character’s thoughts and actions.
Similar to my own experience; after being immersed in the Ecuadorian culture, I
better understand the people of Latin America.
3. Inspiration,
allowing my student’s to acknowledge that there is more than what they experience
daily
After
spending time in Latin America, I realized that there is so much more than my
small town and college. Showing my student’s how travel changes you and
broadens one’s perspective, might be an inspiration to them , and encourage
them to travel and see the world one day for themselves. I know that my
professors personally motivated and inspired me to travel and see more of the
world, and perhaps I can do the same for my students. I plan to encourage them
and show them how stepping out of one’s comfort zone will help them learn about
themselves and develop a newfound appreciation for many things that they might
have previously taken for granted.
4. Nature
writing, the importance of environmental literature
5. The usefulness of multimedia approaches to writing
No comments:
Post a Comment